Sunderland AFC v Newcastle United

The Tyne – Wear derby (born Tyne – Wear derby), also known as the North East derby (born North East derby), is a football rivalry between Sunderland and Newcastle United clubs. Both clubs are located in Tyne and Wear County (North East England region), the distance between Sunderland and Newcastle is only twelve miles. Sunderland holds their home games at the Stadium of Light Stadium, and Newcastle performs at St. James Park.

For the first time, the clubs played each other in 1883 (it was a friendly game). The first official match between the teams was held in 1888: it was a game in the framework of the FA Cup, in which Sunderland won 2-1.

The origins of the confrontation clubs come from the rivalry of Sunderland and Newcastle during the English revolution. Charles I regularly bestowed coal trade rights in the east of England to merchants from Newcastle, leaving “out of work” merchants from Wirside. Therefore, when civil war broke out in 1642, Newcastle was on the side of the royalists, and Sunderland, dissatisfied with trade disproportions, supported parliamentarians. The conflict culminated in March 1644 during the battle of Boldon Hill, in which the army of loyalists from Newcastle and the county of Durham was defeated by an army of covenanter and antimonarchists from Scotland, joined by the army of Sunderland. After this, Newcastle was settled by the Scots and was used as a Republican military base until the end of the war.

Subsequently, the confrontation of the two cities manifested itself during the Jacobite uprisings, when Newcastle supported the Hanoverian dynasty with King George, and Sunderland was on the side of the Stuarts

Until the beginning of the XX century, the main rivals of the two clubs were other teams within their cities. In Newcastle in the 1880s, there were two clubs, Newcastle West End and Newcastle East End; their rivalry ended in 1892 after the bankruptcy of the West End and the formation of the Newcastle United club. For Sunderland, this rival was the Sunderland Albion club, founded in 1888, but existed for only four years.

In 1883, Newcastle East End and Sunderland met in a friendly match, and in November 10, 1888, the first official game between the clubs took place – this was the match of the third qualifying round of the FA Cup. Victory in it with a score of 2: 0 won “Sunderland”.

In 1898, the first meeting of the teams was held within the framework of the championship (in a number of sources this game is considered the first “real” Tyne-Weir derby) [6]. The match was held at the “Rocker Park” on November 24. Victory in it with a score of 3: 2 won “Newcastle” thanks to the “double” of Jack Peddy.

In the 1900/01 season, the First Division match between Newcastle United and Sunderland was due to take place on Great Friday of 1901, but it was canceled, as more than 120,000 fans came to St. James Park despite the fact that the stadium had only 30,000 viewers. News about the cancellation of the match were met with indignation by the fans, which resulted in riots; there were victims. This derby attracted many spectators, many of whom climbed onto the roofs of houses and trees near the stadiums to watch the game, but the rivalry in general was not fierce in the first half of the 20th century.

On December 5, 1908, Sunderland defeated Newcastle United at St. James Park with a score of 9: 1. Despite this result, Newcastle became the champion of England that season, ahead of Sunderland by 9 points, which finished the championship in 3rd place. This game has the largest score and the biggest victory in the history of the Tyne-Weir derby, as well as the biggest victory of Sunderland on the road in the history of the club and the biggest defeat of Newcastle in the home games of the championship. Newcastle’s biggest victory over Sunderland with a score of 6: 1 was recorded twice: in 1920 at home and in 1955 away.

In the 1926/27 season, Sunderland won the match at its stadium with a score of 2: 0, but in the return game at St. James Park, Newcastle United beat Sunderland with a minimum score (the only goal was scored by Hugh Gallacher) and secured after a leadership in the standings of the First Division. In the end, “Newcastle” became the champion, and “Sunderland” took 3rd place.

On March 3, 1956, in the framework of the sixth round of the England Cup, Newcastle United, which was the current holder of the trophy, took over Sunderland. The guests won 2-0, knocking out their rivals from the Cup, and after the final whistle, happy guest fans massively ran out on the St. James Park pitch.

In 1979, Sunderland defeated Newcastle United 4-1, and Gary Rowell made a hat-trick. On January 1, 1985, Newcastle striker Peter Beardsley made a hat-trick against the Sunderland goal, guaranteeing his team victory with a score of 3: 1.

In 1990, the teams met in the semifinal playoffs of the Second Division, which the press called the “greatest Tyne-Weir derby in history”. The first game at Rocker Park ended in a goalless draw, and the Sunderland player did not convert a penalty in that match. In the second leg at St. James Park, a 2-0 victory was won by Sunderland. Toward the end of the meeting, Newcastle fans began to run out on the football field in the hope that this would stop the game and assign replays. This result led the team to the playoff finals, in which Sunderland lost to Swindon Town at Wembley Stadium. Despite this defeat, Sunderland went into the First Division instead of Swindon, deprived of this right due to financial irregularities.

On August 25, 1999, in the Tyne-Weir derby at St. James Park, Newcastle head coach Rude Gullit put two leading scorers on the team, Alan Shearer and Duncan Ferguson, on the bench. Sunderland won 2-1 in this game thanks to goals from Kevin Phillips and Neill Quinn. All this caused a negative reaction from the fans of Newcastle, and three days later Gullit resigned from his post as the head coach of the forty. A year later, Sunderland again beat Newcastle 2: 1 on the road, and in that match, the goalkeeper of the black cats, Thomas Sorensen, took Shearer from the penalty spot.

In the Tyne-Weir derby on April 17, 2006, Newcastle lost 1-0 in the first half, but scored four goals in the second half, securing a 4-1 victory to Stadium of Light. One of the authors of the Newcastle goals in that game, Michael Chopra, moved to Newcastle in 2007 and played in three Tyne-Weir derbies against his former team.

On October 25, 2008, Sunderland beat Newcastle United 2-1 at the Stadium of Light; the winning goal was scored by Kiran Richardson. It was the first black cat victory in a derby at their home stadium in 28 years.

On October 31, 2010, Newcastle beat Sunderland 5-1. “Sunderland” played for more than an hour with ten players (in the 53rd minute, the ex-player of Newcastle Titus Bramble was removed for a foul against Andy Carroll). In the “Newcastle” captain Kevin Nolan was noted with a hat-trick.

On April 14, 2013, Sunderland beat Newcastle 3-0 at St. James Park. It was the first away victory of the “Sunderland” in the derby for 13 years. The match was attended by 52 355 people, 2000 of them were in the guest sector of “Sunderland” (among them was the black cat midfielder Craig Gardner, who could not take part in the game due to disqualification).

In the 2013/14 season, Sunderland made a “double” in the Tyne-Weir derby (won both matches against Newcastle) for the first time since 1966/67, and for the first time since 1923, won three Tyne-Weir derbies in a row. On December 21, 2014, in the St. James Park derby, Adam Johnson scored a goal in the 90th minute, ensuring the “black cats” victory with a score of 1: 0. It was the fourth consecutive victory of the “Sunderland” in the derby against the “Newcastle”. On April 5, 2015 at Stadium of Light, Sunderland scored the fifth consecutive derby victory thanks to a goal by Jermain Defoe from 22 yards. On October 25, 2015, “black cats” won a record sixth consecutive victory in the Tyne-Weir derby, beating “forty” with a score of 3: 0

The Tyne-Weir derby, like most other fierce football confrontations, manifests itself, among other things, in the form of football hooliganism. In 1990, in the second semifinal playoff match for the right to enter the First Division, Sunderland won 2-0, after which a group of Newcastle fans rushed out onto the field in the hope that the match would be stopped and its result canceled. Their idea was not crowned with success: after strangers were removed from the field, the match was resumed, and the victory of Sunderland with a score of 2: 0 fell into the official match report.

In 2001, 160 arrests took place after the Tyne-Weir derby.

In 2008, after Sunderland won the derby (the first in 28 years at the black cats home stadium), part of the Sunderland fans ran out onto the field, and skirmishes with Newcastle fans began (however, the police quickly stopped them). Also at Newcastle player Joey Barton during his warm-up from the stands threw objects.

On January 16, 2011, a 17-year-old Sunderland fan ran to the Stadium of Light field and pushed Newcastle goalkeeper Steve Harper in the Tyne-Weir derby as part of the Premier League. Also after the final whistle, some fans of the two clubs tore up the seats from the stadium and threw them at rivals. After the game, 24 people were arrested on charges of hooliganism.

On April 14, 2013, large groups of Newcastle fans were involved in disturbing public order on the streets of Newcastle upon Tyne after losing to Sunderland 3-0 at St. James Park. Infuriated after the defeat of their team, the fans of Newcastle tried to break through to the fans of Sunderland, who were accompanied by the police. This resulted in confrontations with the police, including throwing bottles at the police. During the riots, four police officers suffered, 29 people were arrested. One of the hooligans attacked a police horse, striking her in the face. Despite the attacker’s attacker, the horse Bad was not seriously hurt. By the end of May 2013, an additional 77 people were arrested on suspicion of participating in these riots, bringing the total number of those arrested to 106.

After the Tyne-Weir derby, in March 2016, the police arrested 20 people on charges of disturbing public order, including a Newcastle supporter who ran onto a football field to celebrate a goal scored by Aleksandar Mitrovich