The Importance of Soccer Goalie Gloves
Soccer is a sport that requires a lot of contact with the ball. Goalkeepers often touch the ball with hands which makes it essential to wear gloves.
Goalkeepers need special soccer gloves for a number of reasons, but one of the most important factors is that these gloves protect their hands.
Goalie gloves are specially made for the goalkeeper to wear in order to increase his or her grip on the ball and prevent it from being too slippery. The gloves should also be thick enough that they can withstand contact with shots that are going at a high speed.
Components of Soccer Goalie Gloves
Goalie gloves are made with different components to ensure different aspects of safety for the goalkeeper.
- The backhand is a protective flap that shields the goalkeeper’s hand from hard shots. The backhand component provides protection for your hands in case of an incoming shot going in your direction. It should be lightweight yet strong enough to stop a ball from breaking through it. The backhand is usually constructed out of a material like leather which provides good protection for these areas while at the same time being breathable so that you do not get too hot when you’re playing soccer.
- The palm is a padded area on the palm side of the hand that protects the fingertips and wrist. The palm are typically made of latex designed to provide the maximum grip possible.
- The closure strap wraps around and attaches to the glove to keep it secure on your hand. The closure strap should be adjustable so it will fit snugly around your wrist without being too tight or too loose when you catch a ball with one hand while wearing them.
- Last, gloves have fingers or thumbs, which help in catching and picking up balls. The thumb is usually made from silicone rubber which adds even more grip to the glove and also prevents slipping when catching a ball that has just been shot in your direction.
Different Types of Soccer Goalie Gloves
Soccer Goalie Gloves come in a variety of cuts and styles. It is important to know the different types of cut because they will affect how well your goalie gloves grip the soccer ball.
There are three main types of cuts that you can find on goalkeeper gloves: flat cut, negative cut, rolled/gunn cut. There is also a hybrid type that combines two or more of these styles.
- Flat cut is characterized by outside stitching and visible stitching all along the outer edge. This type of cut is suitable for goalkeepers with larger hands as it provides a looser more comfortable fit.
- Negative cut stitching is placed on the inside of the glove. The hem is rolled inward which results in a tighter fit. This type of cut is suitable for goalkeepers with smaller hands. Negative cut allows more control on and off the ball.
- Rolled/gunn cut – unlike the flat and negative cut, the rolled cut does not have gussets. This type of cut gives a tighter fit and larger contact area with the ball.
Important Factors for Selecting the Best Goalie Gloves
Soccer is a sport that requires the use of many different equipment, including goalie gloves. Soccer goalie gloves are designed with the specific needs of a soccer goalie in mind. Goalies need to have the best grip, breathability, and protection.
When picking out your next pair, it is important to not only consider the size but also the material and fit.
The most important thing to think about when buying a set of goalie gloves is sizing. Make sure you measure your hand and choose a size accordingly. They should be tight-fitting and have room for the fingers to allow ease of movement. For instance, if you have large hands or prefer more coverage for your fingers, go with large gloves.
When considering what type of glove you want to buy there are some other things to consider such as material and style.
Soccer goalie gloves are usually made from leather or synthetic materials. Synthetic leather and nylon materials are popular for this kind of gloves. The ability to control the ball is very important because it will help the goalkeeper make a save, which is what makes them valuable assets in their team. Synthetic leather materials are popular for this kind of gloves because they are flexible and provide protection without being too thick or bulky. Nylon material is also commonly used in soccer gloves because they allow for a great grip on the ball as well as allow for flexibility when catching balls.